Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, May 16, 2008

1% Well Read Challenge ... I'm caving in!

I never thought I'd be one to join lots of reading challenges, but I'm getting sucked into it bit by bit! LOL I've decided to participate in this one because many of the books are ones I want to read anyway, and now I have an excuse to get to them.

The rules are simple: read 10 books from the 1,001 Books list within the next 10 months. No problem, I can do that!

Here's my list, along with some comments:
  1. The Moor’s Last Sigh, Salman Rushdie - I've never read anything by him, but a friend recommended this one
  2. A Fine Balance, Rohinton Mistry - it was already on my TBR list
  3. Cannery Row, John Steinbeck - been meaning to get to this one for years
  4. Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe - can you believe I've never actually read this?!
  5. Phineas Finn, Anthony Trollope - I just liked the title and the author's name
  6. Some Experiences of an Irish RM, E. Somerville - Irish history is a hobby for me
  7. The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton - been meaning to get to this for a while
  8. Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris, Paul Gallico - according to the summary, this is fun and easy, and I thought I might need it!
  9. 100 Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marques - been on my TBR list for a long time
  10. Herzog, Saul Bellow - wanted to read this since I finished Reading Lolita in Tehran

And here are some alternates, in case I get bored or finish too soon:
Is anyone else participating in this challenge? I'd love to see your lists, and to know how you decided which books to read. And of course, I want links to any you've reviewed!

5 comments:

Laura said...

It's amazing to me that with as many choices as there are in this challenge, we still choose some of the same books! I'm also reading Cannery Row and Uncle Tom's Cabin, and I just started The Handmaid's Tale. All of the ones I chose are books that I've been wanting to read for a long time. Also, Trish is hosting a classics challenge in July, so I chose several books that can be read for both challenges.

It's amazing how easy it is to get sucked in to the challenges, huh?

Becca said...

Oooh, super fun! I have a lot of these books on my list too. I doubt if I'll ever finish the whole 1,001 list. But how fab would it be to have done so?

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to my list for this challenge:
My 10 books. Like you, it's a chance to catch up on some books that I've meant to read for years.

Anonymous said...

Came over from your comment on my blog (sorry it took so long!). This challenge is amazing. It has inspired me to do the same. I'm waiting a little while because my plate feels full right now, but I will do it!

Lezlie said...

Hi, Heather! When it comes to these challenges we all end up facing the fact that resistance is futile! I'm in this one, too, and making a stab at the whole list of 1001 Books.

Lezlie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin