Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Finds


I've got quite a diverse - and long - list of Friday Finds this week. Have you read any of these? Please share your thoughts! And head on over here to post your own list.
  1. Top Tips for Girls, by Kate Reardon - a collection of all the "things you must know" from moms, sisters, grandmothers, etc.
  2. Triumph, by Jeremy Schaap - the story of Jesse Owens - just in time for the Olympics!
  3. Stiff, by Mary Roach - I really didn't think I'd like this book but this review at least made me consider reading it - plus I think hubby would really enjoy it (yes, he's morbid like that)
  4. Just Tell Me What to Say: Sensible Tips and Tricks for Perplexed Parents, by Betsy Brown Braun - it isn't the book that caught my attention but rather a suggestion in this review to make notes in the book about the things your child does, then give the book to that child when he/she has children - now THAT could be funny!
  5. The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson - I know, I know, everyone else already has this on their TBR list but I just wasn't interested until I read this review ... now I can't wait to read it
  6. Righting the Mother Tongue, by David Wolman - another book on the quirks and quibbles of the English language, in the style of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"
  7. The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy- I always avoided this classic because I thought it was like a Casanova story (and because "pimpernel" always reminded me of "pimp") ... who knew it was about the French Revolution?! Must read this one, and soon.
  8. A Companion to Wolves, by Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear - the relationship between the men and wolves sounds fascinating, and I'm really missing fantasy novels after so many years away from them
  9. Selling Sickness, by Alan Cassels & Roy Moynihan - an expose on the health care system
  10. The Milagro Beanfield War, by John Nichols - solely because of this review
  11. A Man of His Village, by Tanyo Ravicz - this one sounds great AND there's already a book club kit for it

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diverse is right! I was pleased that my Friday Finds had some variety - a novel, nonfiction, and a graphic memoir.

I love the idea in *Just Tell Me What to Say*! I could fill volumes to hand back to them in 20-30 years :)

I haven't yet read *The Gargoyle* either; it's on my bookshelf, and I'm giving away a duplicate.

Debi said...

I haven't read a single one of those :(
But I did give Stiff to my husband for Father's Day this year...partly because I've been wanting to read it myself, and partly because he really loved Roach's book Bonk.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of The Scarlet Pimpernel, you may want to check out my Friday Finds here for a series similar that might interest you.

Marie Cloutier said...

Wow, lots of fun stuff. I haven't got caught in The Gargoyle hype *yet* but we'll see how long I last! :-)

Amy said...

I have to let out a rave for Stiff. It's a great read, but I like things that are a bit morbid like that.

Rebecca Reid said...

Glad Stiff seemed intriguing. I didn't really think I'd like it either and I really did.

As for The Scarlett Pimpernel, I watched the two movies first and I wasn't as enthralled with the book. I don't remember why. But I liked it, just not as much as the movies.

Michele said...

The only one of those that I've read is Stiff. And while it's definitely different, I truly enjoyed it. Now keep in mind I love CSI, mystery/thrillers, etc so that fits right in with all that.

Melissa said...

The Scarlet Pimpernel is so much fun! You'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather:

Stopped by to see your Friday Finds!

Cheers,
Shana
Literarily

Stephanie said...

Stiff is fantastic! One of my favorite books, actually. You wouldn't think that a book about death could be so hysterically funny as Mary Roach makes it. Her footnotes are great. You'll love it, and you'll learn an awful lot. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin