Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Madonnas of Leningrad - author webcast

Book Club Girl interviewed Debra Dean, author of The Madonnas of Leningrad, on her BlogTalk Radio program last night. This is definitely one that's worth listening to.

For those unfamiliar with the book, it's the fictional story of a elderly woman, Marina, who has Alzheimer's. As her memory of her present life fades she is drawn back to her experiences during the siege of Leningrad; that time becomes more real to her that her current life.

I read Dean's book earlier this year, and although I had several complaints I truly did enjoy the parts that took place in Leningrad. I'm in the minority with my complaints though - all the other reviews I read only had good things so say.

Take a minute to watch the book trailer; it's quite beautiful and will give you a feel for the novel. Then head on over to Book Club Girl and listen to the interview. When you're done, please drop back over here and let me know what you think!

Were you familiar with this book before reading my post? Have you read it? What did you think about it? If you weren't familiar with it, are you interested enough to read it? I'd love to know what you think!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

totally OT here--thanks for your nice comment on my food allergy woes! :) I am also loving the 1% read idea in your sidebar.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I really liked it! I wasn't able to call in on Thursday night, but I listened to the interview the next day; I always learn more with these great conversations!

My review is not yet complete ... must find more "quiet time" to do that!

I'd like to look at some of the "additional reading" and get more info about the real events at the Hermitage during that time - the removal of art, that docent who kept giving tours, etc.

Anonymous said...

I read the book pre-bookblogging, so I don't have a review of it. I am not sure anymore exactly why, but despite enjoying the book, I did have some problems with the book. So you are not the only one not loving this one unconditionally.

One thing I do remember (talk about details...) is, that at one point the Troitsky-bridge in Leningrad was mentioned, only it was called Trotsky-bridge. Now, I don't think any bridge in Leningrad in 1941 would be named after Trotsky, who Stalin considered his enemy....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin