Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Thursday, March 26, 2009

2009's 1% Well Read Challenge List


I've already started on this challenge - finished one book in fact - and I haven't even announced that I'm joining. It is high time to remedy that.

Below is my list for the 1% Well Read Challenge 2009. You can learn more about the challenge or sign up yourself at this website: http://1morechapter.com/1percent/?p=9.

My preliminary list, subject to change at any time ...

  1. The Castle of Otranto, by Horace Walpole (reviewed here)

  2. Evelina, by Frances Burney (reading now)

  3. An Interesting Narrative, by Olaudah Equiano

  4. The Mysteries of Udolpho, by Ann Radcliffe

  5. Castle Rackrent, by Maria Edgeworth

  6. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

  7. The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper

  8. The Charterhouse of Parma, by Stendhal

  9. The Lion of Flanders, by H. Conscience

  10. Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell
All of these titles are from the 1700s and 1800s. I figured I'd go for a theme this year - really old books!

Are you participating this year? How did you choose which books you plan to read?

4 comments:

Jules said...

I'm participating in this challenge too, and one of my books is also Castle Rackrent. I love this challenge, because I get to read a lot of older books. Good luck.

Here's a link to my challenge list.
http://bookworm-jules.blogspot.com/2009/03/name-of-challenge-another-1-well-read.html

myza said...

I did this challenge last year and finished it the day before it was over. I enjoyed doing it because I read books I normally wouldn't read.

I just randomly picked books...I am living in Turkey so I only have access to books that are in the uni library. I just wrote a bunch of names down from the list and then saw which ones they had available. It made my reading really interesting.

I joined again this year but haven't read anything yet. Good luck with Last of the Mohicans..I read it a few years back and almost gave up on reading afterwards. But I can say I am glad I read it.

Susan Elliott said...

I have only read Frankenstein and Last of the Mohicans...I'm interested to hear about the others...glad our lists are so different.

Since you read, Dracula last year and you're reading Shelley this year, you may be interested in the correlation between the two found under the "Publication" section at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vampyre

Coffeegrljapan said...

What a fun idea! Tacking all those books at once is daunting - 1% is another thing entirely!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin