Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Game

The Game
by Laurie R. King
368 pages

I mentioned this in my review of Justice Hall but I'll say it again here: King really know her historical settings! Her language puts the reader into the proper time period. I even learned what chilblains are - and that I definitely don't want them.

In this, the 7th Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book, the case bring our detectives to India. This is the time of declining British control in India, the time of Gandhi, the time of the Muslim League - a very exciting and turbulent point in India's history. It's also the time of flappers and Bolsheviks ...

In addition to a vividly created setting, King brings in the title character from Rudyard Kipling's novel KIM. I admit that I've never read KIM so I had to rely on wikipedia for the basic info. But what a story she creates!

I don't quote the book flaps often but this line was so appropriate that I had to include it:
Showcasing King's masterful plotting and skill at making history leap from the page, THE GAME brings alive an India fraught with unrest and poised for change - and an unpredictable mystery with brilliance and character to match.
How can you not want to read this book after that?!

This was not one of my favorites in the MR/SH series but it was still very good.

*** Other posts so far in my Month of Joyful Reading ***

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've been reading a lot about Laurie R. King lately. I've got to try one of her books!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! It's great to meet another Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes fan. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin