Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Finds 11/20/09


Before I share with you my Finds for this Friday I want to let you know that At Home With Books is the bane of my book blogging existence. It seems that every time I read Alyce's posts I end up with more books on my TBR list. Don't get me wrong, I love Alyce, and I love the books she recommends. But dang it! I can't visit her without coming away with a new list of books. Hmpf.

OK, end of rant. :) Here are my Finds for this week:

  1. Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: The Illustrated Edition, by Dee Brown - I've been wanting to read this book since I saw the movie of the same name and now there is a gorgeous new illustrated edition. At Home With Books says: "[This book] should be required reading for every high school and college student in the country. Filled with horrific and heartbreaking stories from the history of the interactions between Native Americans and white men, it is brutally honest about both sides of the story. Dee Brown managed to take the documents and history of Native Americans, and recount them from the Native American point of view."



  2. Julia's Kitchen Wisdom, by Julia Child - I'm not a cook/chef/whatever, not do I particularly enjoy puttering around in the kitchen. But I was hooked when Rebecca Reads said Julia Child "made cooking sound easy. The best part is that I believe her: it is that easy. She’s not trying to give us recipes for a lifetime of cooking: she’s trying to share tidbits of the most important techniques that we may need over a lifetime." This sounds like a very practical book and I'd love to check it out.



  3. Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Front Lines, by William Cleveland - I'm not really into art or art history but this book sounds interesting to me. At Home With Books said it "is split into six sections, each of which discusses a geographic area which has dealt with some form of hardship, and then follows the actions and art of those in that area, reflecting on how that art has changed and helped those communities. The geographic areas and the hardships faced are quite diverse." One section is set in Northern Ireland, a place a love dearly, so that really caught my attention.



  4. Remarkable Creatures, by Tracy Chevalier - This is the story of a 19th century female fossil hunter. I heard about it from The Book Case where this trailer was posted. It was the trailer that really hooked me.




I also added a few new titles to Kiddo's TBR list ...

  1. Eating the Plates, by Lucille Recht Penner - This Thanksgiving book sounds like the perfect thing for Kiddo. The Unsell Family says, "If you want to know all about the disgusting part of the Pilgrims journey to America, then this book is for you. LOL! Did you know that the biscuits on the Mayflower were full of weevils but the pilgrims were so hungry that they had to eat them?" Kiddo loves disgusting bits of info like that - I think he'll really enjoy this book.




  2. Oceanology - This is the latest in the "-ology" books I've seen. You may remember that Kiddo really enjoyed Wizardology and Spyology. Our recent trip to the library resulted in Kiddo checking out Monstorology. So I know that he will really like Oceonology, especially since undersea stuff is at the top of his favorites list. This book follows the "diary" of the only survivor of Captian Nemo's voyage on the Nautilus - and Kiddo LOVES 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! Thanks to 5 Minutes for Books for reviewing this one.


    And finally, a book that I actually want to BUY for Kiddo to keep ....

  3. Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary - I'm so grateful to Books on the Nightstand for pointing this one out - it will be a treasure to Kiddo. He already has Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary, but "Lego Star Wars"?! Wow, that will be simply too cool. Kiddo is a Lego fanatic and he has an unimaginable amount of Star Wars Legos. This the the only type of book I can get him to read voluntarily. I showed the book to him on a recent trip to the bookstore and he could barely speak for the excitement. Needless to say, this will be on Kiddo's Christmas list this year (hey family - hint, hint!). And yes, I DO have to include a big picture of it ...

That's all for me this week. For more Friday Finds hop over to Should Be Reading.

I doubt I'll be posting finds next week as it is the day after Thanksgiving, so happy holidays to all who are celebrating this coming week. I know I'll be enjoying a few days off work - yay!

11 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Wow, fantastic finds! I have a few of these titles on my to be read list.

PS I've had the same spam issues in the past few weeks so I've gone to verification as well. Ugh.

bermudaonion said...

Lots of great finds for you! I'm sure Alyce will be excited to see she's the "bane of your book blogging existence." I agree with you, though - her reviews are fantastic.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Mary - Thanks for stopping by! As for the spam, every time I get rid of my word verification, it comes back. :(

bermudaonion - Yeah, I'm sure Alyce will get a kick out of that!

Anonymous said...

First, usually I skip all these "meme" posts by people, you know what I mean (rolling eyes ;)? But in your case, I'll make an exception. You've never read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. You're in a for a treat.

Second, one of your posts: Blogging recap came in my reader, but then I couldn't find it here. Please explain (in 20 words or less ;).

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

just a reading fool -

1) yeah, I know you LOVE all these memes, just like me ... ~LOL~

2) accidentally posted that - wasn't supposed to post until next week - took it down right away but not quick enough (and THAT, my friend, is 19 words!)

:)

Alyce said...

Kathy's right, I love taking the blame for adding to your TBR! On the other hand, you are just as guilty of adding to my giant stack of unread books, so I think we're even. :)

Speaking of which, I know my kids will love the Lego Star Wars book. I'll have to see if I can find it at the library for them.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Alyce - I'll take "even" any day. :) And HA!!! I got you with the Lego book!

Stephanie said...

Great finds!! I am especially intrigued by Remarkable Creatures.

Rebecca Reid said...

I hope you find the Julia Child as practical as I did!

I tried to read Bury My Heart as a teen but couldn't get into it. Of course, it was very small print and it was a huge book. A Pretty illustrated edition may be nicer...

Elisabeth said...

I read Bury My Heart in 11th grade in my American History class & loved it. Great read!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Rebecca & Elisabeth - Two differing perspectives on BURY MY HEART - gotta love bloggers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin