Ambassador of Books ~ Book Club Madam ~ Blogger Gal

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book club recruiting

Over the past year my book club got smaller and smaller due to changes in the ladies lives.  We had our last meeting in May and decided to take the summer off. Then Fall came and a few die-hard members emailed me to ask when we were meeting again. The thing is, I think we need more ladies in order to make a viable group.

Because of this I'm issuing an open invitation to female readers in Maryland between Baltimore and Annapolis (or the general area) to join us for a trial meeting on Oct. 22 at Arundel Mills Mall. We'll be discussing THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN by Sherman Alexie. If you are interested let me know and I'll email you the details!

7 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

When I moved to the Richmond area of VA I didn't know anyone outside of my immediate family, and then I got a job working as a caregiver for the elderly- not the best way to meet book loving friends. So I joined Meetup.com, but the book club that I wanted to join only met on the third Tuesday of every month, which of course I worked. So I started my own, it's taken a while because despite having almost 70 members most of my early meetups only have a few book lovers. Now I'm probably getting ready to close it down because we seem to have a great core group of about 12 of us that come to all the meetings. Meetup isn't free, another reason I'm shutting it down, but it's free as long as you don't start your own meetup. Maybe you can see if there's any book clubs near you, and poach some members for your book club (because can you ever really belong to too many book clubs?).

Kayo said...

I am so jealous... I live in podunk middle of the US, and no book clubs! I would love to join if I lived near you all.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

It's hard to keep it going. We always get a little slim this time of year. Good luck!

Kerry M said...

I just saw this... I can't participate today, what with it already being today, and the fact that my in-laws are here, but if you are still looking for people later on, I'd love to join!

ofabookworm AT gmail DOT com

chris said...

Darn! I just returned from a business trip, and I would have loved to join the convo. I have read the book, and I'd like to hear what others have to say about it. I am open to participating (and I live in Laurel), so please let me know if there's still room.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Kerry - I emailed you - let me know if you didn't get it.

Chris - There is still room! Give me your email address and I'll keep you posted.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Man, I wish I lived in your area. I would be SO in!

I think that's the one thing missing in my life...an 'in person' book club. =O)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin